Chandler boasts wonderful atmosphere, sheer scenic beauty and a rich history. It is one of the fastest developing urban communities. It is one of the active cities to live and work. Did you know that residents of Chandler are called “Chandlerites”? Did you know that there are about 15,106 street signs here? Did you know that Chandler uses drinking water from twenty-two wells operating in the city? Did you know that Chandler is home to one of the nation’s highest-rated skated parks? Read on some interesting facts about Chandler, AZ.
Image By Ixnayonthetimmay (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Chandler Geographic and Demographic Fast Facts
- Chandler is in Maricopa County, AZ.
- Chandler is bordered by Mesa (north), Gila River Indian Community (south), Tempe (north and west), Gilbert (east), and Phoenix (west).
- It is the fourth largest city in AZ in terms of population.
- It receives over 330 days of sunshine every year.
- It is home of Gangplank.
- It covers about 70 square miles and the elevation of the city is approximately 1,216 ft.
- The ethnic composition of Chandler includes- White 73.3%, Black or African American- 4.8%, Native American- 1.5%, Asian- 8.2%, Pacific Islander- 0.2%, other races- 8.3%. About 21.9% is Latino and Hispanic of any race.
Chandler History Fast Facts
- In the early 1890s, Chandler, AZ was originally settled.
- The city was named after a veterinarian- Dr. A.J. Chandler who moved to the area in 1891.
- In 1912, the town of Chandler began with the launch of Arizona’s first resort, the Hotel San Marcos in 1913.
- In 1920, the town of Chandler was incorporated and the first Mayor was Dr. Chandler.
- In 1954, Chandler was incorporated as a city.
- The city’s population grew since 1980.
Chandler Government and Economy Fast Facts
- Chandler has a Council-Manager type of government.
- The top employers in Chandler are Intel, Bank of America, Chandler Unified School District, Wells Fargo and EBay.
- Agriculture is the key element of the Chandler’s economic base.
- Chandler possesses a strong manufacturing and technology sector.
Chandler Important and Interesting Fast Facts
- The residents of Chandler are called “Chandlerites”.
- Chandler uses drinking water from twenty-two wells operating in the city.
- The oldest drinking water well in Chandler is the Erie Well that produced about eight gallons of water.
- In Chandler, there are about 15,106 street signs.
- The city has over 50 beautiful local parks with the Tumbleweed Park as the largest in the area.
- It is home to one of the nation’s highest-rated skate parks. Ice skating can be enjoyed at any time of the year in Chandler.
- Some of the famous personalities from Chandler are: Shawn Michaels (WWE Superstar), Brian Urlacher and Donovan Mcnabb (NFL Players), Ice-T (Rapper and Actor) and Channing Frye (Phoenix Suns).
- The daily newspaper in Chandler is East Valley Tribune.